Stack Your Chips!

Had my Not-So-Monthly Homegame. Which looks like it's going to start up monthly again, and While not upset with my play in general, and did make one big mistake that I'll discuss later.

As I've mentioned before, we start at about 3pm and go until around midnight. It's the same 6 or 7 people with a few extras occasionally thrown in. This week we had 10 (the later tournaments have less as some people head out). The tournaments are quick, blinds DOUBLE every 15 minutes. You start with $20.00 in chips (but it only costs $10- don't ask) and blinds start at .25/.50. Each tournament lasts about an hour and a half. You're not going to win a fortune, it's mostly about hanging out and having fun.

I arrived early to watch some folks play Rock Star. I'm "recruited" to be the singer. I'm sick so my voice doesn't work. Not that that's an excuse. I can't sing to save my life. I can't sing to save my daughter's life. Hell on Easy, the video game kicks me off I suck so bad. Slappy takes over and I'm left playing guitar. More people arrive and we start poker.

I don't do much the first two tournaments. There's not much to talk about or that I remember from those. Our resident crazy maniac guy takes down both tournaments. It's easy to do when you hit. In the 2nd one, one guy pushes and runs into RCM's QQ. The next hand I push with the Consenza (AT). RCM of course has Aces, and I'm out. Oh and the first tournament I went out, I had two diamonds. I'm in the BB, the blinds are pretty high. There are a bunch of limpers and I check. I wish I can remember the action (Slappy, refresh my memory... if you remember) Basically there's 2 diamonds and an Ace on the board. RCM has a huge stack and is betting. I know I'm beat and getting ready to fold. Suddenly, bam, there's a couple of callers. I want to fold, but the blinds are high and I'm definitely getting the price to call to hit my flush, even if it means all my chips. So I do. I'm vindicated on the river with the 3rd diamond. My vindication is short lived when RCM did in fact hit his Ace. He had Ad9d. Oh well, I'll go watch this guy play Assassin's Creed.

The 3rd tournament I do a bit better. But I fuck up pretty bad and I'm kickin' myself the rest of the night. I go into heads up pretty short stacked. We don't chip up so there are a lot of chips on the table, especially of the smaller denominations (whites and reds). I just one a big hand off my opponent. But he still has a mountain of chips. The next hand, I'm in the BB, he limps. I quickly glance at his chips. I have Qd4d. The blinds are HUGE. I push. He calls with an Ace. For a moment I am jubilant when a Queen flops. But I don't remember if he gets an Ace or goes runner, runner for a flush. I'm standing up since I figure it's over. Suddenly someone says "Make sure he has you covered." "Of course he has me covered." "What about all those green and black chips?" I look down and sure enough, mixed in my pile of unstacked chips is almost all the black ($5) chips and a bunch of greens ($1). In the end, I had HIM covered, but barely. I win the next hand, but it's a moot point and I'm out shortly with 52 vs 62 I think. Someone asked if I'd play that differently if I knew I had him outchipped. I definitely would. It MAY have ended up the same way. If I knew I had hte chip lead. I'd have just checked after his limp. I hit my queen, with the blinds so high, I don't get tricky, I push on the flop hoping he has 2nd or 3rd pair. More than likely he folds. With my reputation there, he MIGHT call with Ace high, but unlikely. I win that pot and who knows from there.

Remember kids, stack your chips.

I make it to heads up in the 2nd tournament, it ends pretty quickly when I get it all in with AQ but my opponent has AK. Not much to be done there. Now I'm even for the night.

The fifth tournament I go out in the middle of the pack in another situation, where, there's not much I can do. Slappy limps, I limp with 33 (I'm working on not overvalue low pairs). THe flop comes 996. It checks around. The turn brings a 3. Now I'm hoping someone has 9. Turns out slappy had a 9. And a 6. Ouch. But I'm not good enough to fold a full house, unless the board is something like 55KKx and I have a 5. Even then that's not an easy fold, because a lot of people will push with an ace, expecting to chop.

The 6th tourney, I don't remember what happened, I was sick, had little voice, and was mostly going through the motions of playing. I busted out and watched, as the Jaguars squeaked out a win, even after the refs totally fucked them in the ass by calling that pass interference call on the 1 yard line. The receiver absolutely had the defender by the face mask. Payback was a bitch. I was rooting for the Jags because Garrard and Taylor pretty much won me my fantasy league.

All in all the night was a success. Good times, good times. The Mrs is planning movie night with some co-workers, and I might be able to use that to my advantage to make JLBSox's home game at the end of the month.

-My name is Unimpressed, and I'm an donkaholic.

0 comments: