If anyone believes blogger tournaments are more friendly than anonymous ones (aside from “knowing” each other from their blogs, many of these people have met in real life once or twice, in Vegas and/or Atlantic City) boy are you wrong.

I played in the Mookie last night (I’ll get more into my play later). Waffles and Heffmike seem got into a little bitch-slapping contest and sellthekids got stuck in the middle.

Then at my table early on, Miami Don went on a little tirade:
Joe_13 folds
Mattazuma folds
RecessRampage folds
summer_babe folds
MiamiDon raises to 135
PostModernBoy folds
NomeyMyHomey folds
misogynist raises to 230
Unimpressed folds
MiamiDon raises to 1,160
misogynist calls 885, and is all in

They flip over AA vs QQ.

The Queen comes on the turn and Don is crippled. He then proceeded to go off on Misogynist (not sure what the blog is) calling him all kinds of names and criticizing his play. It was just sad really. What’s funny is that his rant was clearly transference. He wasn’t pissed at misogynist with that call. Don WANTS that call every time. He’s not pissed at Misogynist, he’s pissed at Full Tilt for putting that Queen out there. Waffles had a similar situation later in the tournament, QQ vs JJ. All the money goes in and the JJ wins. What seems to get forgotten is that these hands aren’t 100% winners. It’s 80/20. You do this 100 times, you’re going to lose 20 times.

This happened to me. My 77 lost to 55. Half my money got in when I was a head. Unfortunately the other half got in after he turned his 5. But still, it was 80/20 preflop. It folds around to me in the small blind (30/60), I raise it to 180, and the BB calls.

Flop: Qs – 3h – 4c. I bet the pot 360. He calls.

Turn: 5c. I have half my stack in there. I doubted he had the queen, so I push in the rest of my stack 1505 and he shows his set.

I’m not as unhappy with that hand as I was in an earlier cash game. I just should have thought about what he would smooth call. He’d call my preflop raise with almost anything when it’s blind vs blind. But to call my flop bet. Would he call it with ace high? I really didn’t take the time to think about it. But even then, he may have called a continuation bet with two Ax (x being higher than a 4). He’d definitely call that with an A2; which would have given him his straight on the turn. That is definitely why being out of position sucks.

So I was out of cash on FTP and wasn’t planning on playing. My affiliate money kicked in (not at much as I thought), but it gave me some cheddah to play in the Mookie and to play some .05/.10 cash game before hand. I totally donked off in the cash game. And the loss in the Mookie means I’m out again until next week, when I should get my rakeback (though I’m worried I’ll lose my rakeback because of the PPA bonus I cleared… bastards… we’ll see).

I need to get my patience back. I really do. Instead of waiting for a good hand in the cash game to double up, I limped in with T8s. In the previous hand I watched two guys push all-on on an all low flop. One guy shows AQ the other AJ. AQ wins it. Now this hand the flop comes 8-5-2. BB bets, middle position immediately pushes all in (has me covered)- he was the AJ. Donkey that I am insta-call and BB folds. MP shows a set of 2s. I’m broke and waiting for the Mookie to start.

It’s frustrating to see that I’m playing HORRIBLE. It really is. I have absolutely now patience. No matter how much I repeat to myself, “Wait, wait, wait. Don’t get fancy in the low limits.” I can’t help myself. Basically I have to wait until the 18th and the FTOPS IV #8 event before I can play again. Lets see if I can learn from this.

2 comments:

SirFWALGMan 5/10/2007 11:03 AM

People are competitive at the tables.. does not mean they hate each other.. I think it is natural to vent when a great chance at a win gets yanked out from under you.

I actually took SellTheKids loss pretty well I think, heh.

Your right in general though. With MTTs your only going to win with repetition.. Your going to get those sick suckouts enough times and then that one time you will win and take it all down.

Julius_Goat 5/17/2007 12:34 PM

Hey there. Nice to see you over at The_Goat_Speaks. Thanks for the visit.

Um, I acutally do think that, even when you take into account various rants from Waffles or Don or (heck, I'll just say it) even me if I'm in a bad enough mood, you still come away with a more convivial experience than your average table or MTT.

Not a lot more, maybe. But at least the spelling is a bit better.

Hope to see you at the Big Game.