And Now For Some Poker

I have succeeded in playing some-what less, including 2-3 days of no play.

I wasn't even planning on playing last night, but an online group I know, plays a $20+2 tournament. Most people know each other very well from the message boards.

It's technically a MTT but usually has no more than two tables. Mondays I have class and don't get home in time. However, last night class ended early and I got home 10 minutes before the tournament started. The mrs and baby were sleeping, so I figured, what the hell.


I played pretty well- made a few good plays, was able to steal some pots with continuation bets, got some hands. Early on, I was 2nd in chips by about 30 (well exactly 30). The slightly bigger stack raised (either UTG or UTG+1).

It was early and I think she made it 180. I re-raised with AA on the button to 500. She calls.

Flop comes Q high and she insta-pushes. I think, but not for long, since I believe she would have checked a set. I call and she flips over AQ and she's crippled and I'm big stack. I pretty much had the chip lead until we got very short-handed.

Another key hand I put on a pretty big beat. Blinds I think were 60/120. I was in the BB with 9d7d. The UTG was super short stacked. He had around 450. He pushes. Everyone folds to me.

NOTE: UTG was the guy in the BB on this hand. At the time with 7s8s, I flopped trip 7s vs his AK. Now I realize that time, it was a bad call because there were bigger stacks behind me left to act and I only called. Pushing would have been a better option than calling. Either way... Now, same guy.

He pushed for about 450, and it folds around to me. I know I'm beat, but I have over 5000 in chips. There's about 7 players left. Only top 4 pays. I have a big enough stack that calling him will NOT hurt me in anyway AND I have a chance to knock out a player.

As you can guess, I call. He flips over TT. Flop gives me a pair of 7s, and the turn brings the 9 and he's out. He was less than happy about it.

I did get AA two more times. the 2nd time I got nothing but the blinds, and the third time I managed to knock out a smaller stack.

When we got to 4 and 5 handed things definitely slowed down, despite the bigger blinds. What was funny was that I played pretty tight the entire game. But did show two bluffs.. one was a semi-bluff...

When we were short handed, I lost the chip lead. The previous hand I ended up turning 2 pair, but the river brought I believe 4 to a straight on the board and had to let my hand go when someone pushed.

The next hand I was dealt 72 soooted. I raised made it a pot sized bet I think it was about 700. I get one caller. The flop comes with a 2-K- and I think a middlish card. I bet the pot about 1400 and it leaves me with only about 1300. My opponent thinks for a while and folds. I show my pair of 2s. He wasn't happy about that.

I got 72 and bluffed, but can't remember if I won teh hand or the raise or had to make a 2nd stab at it. I showed it again and people were really getting annoyed.

I get to heads up against the first guy I bluffed 72 off and had him down low, then he started to build back up, I'd knock him down a bit, and he'd build back up.

It ended when he raised from the button and I called with JT. Flop gives me 2 pair and I check. He checks. I check the turn he pushes and I call. he had K4 suited- no draws.

Nice win booked for $88.

0 comments: