Who's The Bigger Donkey?

I think it was me, because I knew I was self-destructing. I was playing some $.50/$1.00 limit on Party Poker last night. I have $30 in there, and bought in for $10. There are lots of action at the table, not allowing limps and stuff, so I'm waiting for hands. I had my buy in up to 15 and down to 5. Finally at one point with about $9 bucks after an hour, I'm getting frustrated. And I feel myself becoming self-destructive.

I'm dealt pocket 9s in the SB. I raise and get a re-raise from the button (who limped) and I call (we're the only two in the hand).

The flop is 8 high (8-6-2 rainbow). I BET and right there I actually think.. "I'm probably beat here, but I'm going broke with this hand." I bet, button raises, I re-raise, and he caps it.

Turn is a J, same process.. capping betting.

River is a K, same process... I end up all-in.

He flips over pocket 5s. I double up. I asked him who he thought was the bigger donkey.. he didn't know either.



Funny hand later, I'm dealt KJo (which everyone knows is 98% to win preflop), so I raised, and got a couple of callers.

Flop comes: K-7-8. One guy checks, I bet, 2nd guy folds, checker calls.

Turn: 9. Checker BETS... oh crap, don't tell me he hit two pair or his straight. I call.

River: 10. CRAP! now I KNOW he hit his straight. He had to! I'm waiting for him to bet, I have it on AUTO-CHECK in case he checks to induce a bet, I'll just check (though I'll call if he bets). Suddenly it hits me. I HIT A STRAIGHT. Sweet. He bets, I re-raise, he calls. All he had was a pair of 9s.

Ended up finishing the session up an extra 17 bucks.

3 comments:

drewspop 6/16/2006 1:27 PM

Equal parts donkey and genius ;)

StatikKling 6/16/2006 1:42 PM

It's always awesome to realize that the hand you hope your opponant doesn't hold, is the hand you are holding. :) Congrats on having a winning session.

drewspop 6/16/2006 4:11 PM

PJ, the WWdN is the weekly blogger tourney on Stars "hosted" by Wil Wheaton. His is Tuesday night at 8:30pm EST. He used to also host one on Thursday for the west coast crowd but gave it up. Darval picked it up and had it going on Thursday nights at 10:30pm EST. A little late for us, but a good crowd.

Another weekly tourney is Wednesday nights on Stars. The "Mookie" is my favorite each week. Lot of good players and fun chatter going on.

I will look for you in the Stars freeroll on Sunday.

Statikkling, I like your podcast man.