Great Kid! Don't Get Cocky!

I think that is something I have to be careful of.

Week 7 is in the books. One guy quit... Surprising not Tilty, the one that missed like 4 weeks in a row. No, this was a new guy, who had only missed one week, but hadn't had a good showing yet. Though apparently the reason he quit is because he got his old job and it's Sunday nights. So now we're down to 7. And I don't see these people quitting the rest of the season. Most of us are regulars.

The tournament started out slow. I won a few small pots, but ended up losing a lot of chips on bluffs. Drunky got a run of good hands and ended up with a monster stack. The overall points does play a big part of it. Drunky was using his chip advantage to push those of us fighting for points around. If you have a bigger chipstack than the points leader, you end up folding a lot of hands you'd play because you want others to go out. I was pretty short, but had both Host (3rd place) and the points leader (We'll call him Steve) covered. Host got down to less than a big blind and was busted right before his BB. That left 4 people, including Steve. I had Steve covered, but knew I needed chips to make any kind of run. Drunky was increasing his chipstack. In my defense, I really did get a lot of crappy cards. So it's not like I could do much. I finally got it all in with KQ vs Drunky. He had been raising a lot. I was actually behind when he showed 88. I flopped a Q and was happy to get a healthy chip stack again. Meanwhile, a few hands later, Steve had 1 chip more than a big blind and put it all in. I called and so did drunky. I just wanted to bust him. Drunky ended up making a bet and I folded my nothing. Drunky won and I was glad to know that I was going to at least gain a point on him.

This left us 3 handed. I still played the points and made some tight folds 3 handed. I wanted Tilty to bust. Even if I didn't win, a second place puts me 1 point behind Steve. Drunky busts Tilty and we're heads up. We played heads up in week 3 and Drunky outplayed me every step of the way. This time I promised myself I'd play better. Despite the chip disadvantage, I showed some aggression. I managed to double up, getting all in with a King high, when I pushed all-in after he raised my BB. He called with a jx and my hand held up.

We continued to battle and I slowly gained chips. The big hand came when I had K9 and raised it to 25 with (blind 5/10). He called. The flop was 8 high. It went check-check. The turn was a 9 and I bet 50. He pushed and I called. He had an 8 and I took a big chip lead after that and he was never able to gain any ground back.

I took down the my second tournament of the season and the best part was that I tied Steve for 1st place in overall points. Plus, between the winnings this week at Slappy's game, plus this week's win, I have enough winnings to see me through the rest of the league. Anything more will be profit.

Next week we're finishing the 1st half of the season with our double week. Again, points will playce a big role, as Steve and I battle for 1st place. Host and Drunky aren't too far behind (about 5 points). So a poor week for Steve or I and a good week for them, can boost them into 1st place.

So that brings up the title. The point is 2 fold. One, there is still a lot of poker to be played and I won't want to assume I'm going to win them all. I continue to have my hands hold up. I need that to keep happening. Two, I don't want the game to dry up. If I were to win, that would be the Threepete. I think I would have take a season off if that were to happen. People aren't going to want to play if they don't think they have a shot at winning. I think they need to change the payouts of just the weekly tournaments. Second place should get a few more bucks. Currently 1st place gets 75% of the pool. 2nd place barely makes their money back. A little more money to 2nd place would help keep people funded. A 65%/35% would allow 2nd place to double the buy-in, paying for that week's tournament, plus the next.

For now, I'm happy with the money disbursement, as I plan on winning a few more.

Off to bed
.
-My name is Unimpressed, and I'm an donkaholic.

0 comments: