A Satellite to the Sunday's 750k.

As I stated in my last one, I earned entry in to the 2500ftp satellite into the 750K Guarantee on Sunday. There were about 1500 punters and the top 108 players win entry in this $200+ buy in tournament.
...more...

I played decent poker, got extremely lucky hitting a BUNCH of sets. On one hand I was UNLUCKY to hit a set. Early on, I limp then call a small raise, from one of the blinds, with pocket 3s. Flop comes A high with just one diamond. We both check. The turn gives me the 3 of diamonds. Nice little set, and I’m probably best. The blind bets about 200 (I think blinds are 40/80). I think about raising, but just call. The river is a 3rd diamond. The Blind bets 400 (it was less than half the pot). I’m trying to decide between calling or raising. I’m thinking he could have been on a flush draw since he checked the flop, and got the draw on the turn. He bet a small amount to try to see a cheap river. The guy has me cover and a call would leave me with about 1200 in chips. Blinds are still low enough that I’m far from in trouble. I finally decide to just call. Figuring I may miss winning more on the hand if a high ace., but I won’t be broke if I make a mis-step. He didn’t have a flush, but he did have an ace… two of them actually. So I managed to lose the minimum on a set over set situation.

I would then go ahead and build up my stack. I got to about 5k when I made a mis-step in the SB. It folded to me and I limp with JT (blinds are about 50/100, might be one level higher). BB pushes all in with about 1200. I for no idea why, call. He shows AK, and I don’t improve.

I managed to build up my stack and get it to 6500 (about average stack) and there are about 300 players left (again 108 get the seat). I’m dealt AA in UTG+1. UTG limps, I raise to 1200 (blinds 200/400, ante 25). Folds around to the button and he pushes all in for about 6200. Folds to me and I call. He shows JJ. He rivers the J, and I’m crippled. (I actually win the next hand with TT and get to about 1400, but go out shortly).

The surprising thing I felt was the lack of tilting. I wasn’t angry, I didn’t curse the poker gods, I just felt, “hey, I got my money in an 80% favorite, it happens.” So maybe I’m growing as a poker player.

Or not…

0 comments: