MSR HEADS UP CHAMPION

That's right kids, I won the heads up tournament I was in, with my fellow boardbangers, at MySportsRadio.com. I ended up going heads up vs Cornishjames in the best 2 out of 3.

The sad thing is that I had only enough to play two heads up matches on Titan in my bankroll. I made sure I had enough that if I lost the first match, I could play the 2nd one. I think his lack of sleep had something to do with it. But in fairness, I offered to play the matches another time. He insisted. He just finished his semi-finals and I think he was feeling good, despite the fact that it was like 4am his time.

The first match, I got off to an early lead about 5 hands in when my top pair beat out his 2nd pair. After that he had trouble battling back. This was another scenario where I took the lead and never looked back. He got unlucky in that when he did push a big raise at me, I often had something, and would push back harder, and he'd have to fold. There were a few times where the fact that I won the first game made me a bit more aggressive. He'd push, and if I thought he was weak or just felt like gambling, I'd push back and he'd have to fold. In the end he didn't play his short stack aggressive enough. I had about 1800 to his 200 and he'd fold or call and then fold to any bet I made. At one point he had just over $100 and chips. And this is how it went down.

Blinds were $10/$20.
CJ (SB)
ME (BB): KJo (which everyone knows this is a 98% favorite).

CJ limps in.
I check.

FLOP: 7c - 2c - As

I bet $40
CJ calls

TURN: 3c

I go All-in (which will basically put him all in as he only has $110 left.)

He folds

Afterwards he says he had KK, but the ace and the 3 clubs scared him away. In headsup, especially if you're that short stacked, that's an auto-all-in. Oh, well. I put him away the next hand when I have Q-6o and he had 6-2o. And that time he did push all-in preflop.

I played pretty good in those matchups, minimizing my losses. I think my biggest mistake was limping in with an ace. Which I did numerous times, trying to hide the strength of my hand. Doing it once or twice is OK, but I did it pretty much every time. Oh well, it worked in the end.

So here's what the bracket looked liked:


I'm glad to say that they're putting together a 2nd Heads Up Tournament, and I'll be defending my title.

I'll go into my monthly home game in another post.

3 comments:

drewspop 5/15/2006 12:58 PM

Nice takedown. Congrats.

Rory Cartwright 5/16/2006 6:33 AM

Nice win

Dawn Summers 5/17/2006 5:02 PM

Congatulations!!
Dawn