WSOP Main Event

This was the first time in 3 years I followed the WSOP Main Event on ESPN. It's nothing against it, I just didn't have cable for a few years. The last year I watched was Jaime Gold's year. I followed Yang's year online, but it wasn't very interesting. I tried to watch 2008 on PokerTube, but found the coverage boring. Don't tell me who wins, I'm only on episode 28. Or something like that.

I was very interested in 2009, but didn't look for it online, just followed it as it happened. I was disappointed, as were most, when Ivey got booted.

Finally, this year, I followed all the episodes (thanks to a good deal with Comcast). While I enjoyed the coverage, and I liked that most of the players were experienced players (even though they were unknowns), I was very disappointed in the lack of other events. Sure, sure, I understand there's not a lot of mass appeal for non- Hold 'em games, but through one in. Through in the short handed NLHE game. Or even the heads up. They get a few more weeks of additional new content and I get more poker.

What I really liked was the ESPN3.com's coverage of the live final table (I'm about to stream me some Cricket!). I watched HOURS of that. First on the computer, then via Xbox's new ESPN Channel. I loved it. I didn't need the hole cards. I hope they do that again. I'll make a day of it.

That's the TV Coverage. My interest in the entire WSOP this season was low, and I think a lot of that had to do with Poker Road Radio. I don't want to bad mouth them. They have a great idea, but I felt their coverage this year was lacking. I'm not sure if it was Jeremiah Smith as host, or the lack of Sebok and Gavin Smith, but it just seemed... un-enthused. For the PRR crew, Huff, Stapes or even Ali Nejad are better suited for the show. PRR is more about comedy than anything else, and that's not Jeremiah's strong suit.

I love Poker Road, but it seems like Sebok is getting ready to let it go. He has a great concept, I just hope he can figure a way to make money off of it.

-My name is Unimpressed, and I'm an donkaholic.

0 comments: