A Turning Point

Katitude was recently talking about online poker:

"I'm falling out of love."

I think this best describes my feelings. But the other common expression fits. "It's not you, it's me."
...more...

I've had an epiphany. I'm no good at poker. At least not at online. And I haven't played enough live to get a grasp of my abilities (I do well at my homegames and I've done ok at Foxwoods- if I'm not playing limit). I play live poker, maybe 10 times a year.

Online I had a good run turning $20 into $400. But that was after I turned $100 into $0 and $50 into $20. I have since turned that $400 into $0. I've even made a few more deposits... all down to $0. The more I think about turning that cash into $400, I realize it was really just a run of luck (You mean you don't normally get Quads 4 times a week??? I thought everyone did).

Even recently in cash games, I've noticed any big pots I won... suckouts. I just can't seem to get my money in good, and that's losing poker.

I blew through my recent deposits playing bigger stakes (1/2 - .50/1) and even the micros again (I recently blew threw my final 3 buy-ins in 30 minutes @ .05/.10). I've had a little more luck at tournaments, winning the Blogger Donkament a few weeks back and final tabling some blogger tournaments too (unfortunately I didn't cash). But my luck at SnGs has dried up.

All that's sitting in my account is one 26 token and about $20 in rakeback and affiliate money that was just deposited. And that's what I'll probably stick with. Not playing much, accept when I get some affiliate money.

I'll continue to play live on occasion, home game and at Foxwoods (actually I think I'm going to enter a preliminary event at the WPT Finals this year- the $300 shootout). But don't expect to see me on the virtual felt much... unless I can change my game around.

Side note:
Congrats to my buddy Slappy, aka PokerBrian322. Despite not being a blogger, he took down the MATH this week. And he was at Foxwoods this past weekend and took down a $1100 pot @ 1/2 NL. Congrats you beast!

1 comments:

1Queens Up1 7/10/2007 4:33 PM

Its all about phases man. Before you started working with me I was uber into poker (before the Moneymaker craze) and a bit afterwards.

But as the bad beats rolled in and the income from poker started to dwindle, it started messing with my psyche. What once was a dream that I could make a good living off poker turned into "im bored." Then other than home games I took a vacation from poker. I think I played poker maybe 4-5 times @ foxwoods between late 2005, early 2007. And I gave up online poker altogether from '05 until April '07.

Then I broke my ankle and got bored with all the other crap I had been doing, and one day in rehab I started talkin poker with my PT, and the fire came back. It started with us going that one weekend losing at 2/4, and somehow pulling off that SnG win. I started re-reading all my old books and sold a MMORPG account I had to start funding my bankroll.
Since then I've been back in the game.

So go ahead, take a vacation from poker if you need it. It aint goin anywhere. And you'll be back to tell me about all your sweet wins.