A New Day

I feel like blogging again, but not sure how much I have to say.

I haven't been playing online. It's a waste of money for me. I just don't play well online. With that said, I just gave some cash to a buddy who is now currently FLUSH with online cash and he transferred me some Full Tilt money (and I'm a playing a couple of cheap SnG's while I'm typing).
...more...

Congratulations Brian. That is some awesome work. Nice consistency! Lets hope you keep playing great in the blogger event... and donking it up in our League.

So the League started up. Oh wait. A LOT has changed in my life. My last post was back in October. I finished up this same league back than. I tied for 2nd place over all so squeaked by with only a little cash overall. I was up over that 16 week period which was nice. They started up the next season, but I took a break. Why you may ask?

Well, on December 8th, my son was born (We already have a 5 year old daughter). He was a big fella too. 9lbs 9oz. So that's taken up my life. He was 2+ years in the making and a lot of trouble to bring into this world. But worth every bit of pain and money it cost.

So the league finished up and a new season started up. I was invited again, and this time I brought along Brian. Not sure why, the league only has a few good players and I definitely think Brian is better than me, however, he's a friend and I can seem to hold my own around him.

I decided to join. I almost didn't. I've had a string of big losses (big for me mind you) at various home games and I was ready to put poker down for a little bit. Plus it's every Sunday night for 16+ weeks, it's a big commitment. But I decided to try it. Put all other poker on hold and see what I do.

If your interested, here's the breakdown of the rule. Major League. The only change is the payout, and it's only slightly different. 2nd place gets their money back plus a little more. The amount is still in question (buyin is 25 and 2nd place gets either 30 or 40).

Just a quick recap of the blind structure. You start with 20 BBs. Blinds don't go up until the first person busts, than they double right then, and double every half hour (1/2, 2/4, 4/8). After 4/8 it goes to 5/10. There isn't much play, especially if someone busts on the first hand. You go from 20 BBs to 10BBs in one hand.

We've finished week 5. I started off slow.
Going out in the middle of the pack in week 1, and a little earlier in the 2nd week. Week 3 saw me finish either 3rd or 2nd (I can't seem to remember).

Week 4 things got interesting.
About 20-30 minutes (no one busted yet) into the game, it limps around to me, and I look down at AJ in position. I raise it to 6 and get a call from one of the blinds (the perpetual drunk guy) and one of the limpers (Christopher Walken). The flop hits me pretty good. J-5-2, two spades. It checks around to me and I decide to bet out 10. Now I've put 16 chips into this pot. That's about 1/2 my stack at this point. Drunky goes all in (has me covered). Walken calls. HUH? If it was just one of them, I'd have to call, since a flush draw is definitely a possibility. I still thought about calling thinking both could be on a flush draw and thus they have less outs. I think for a while and finally muck AJ face up. Now out of the 9 guys, I'd say 1/2 are OK-good players. The rest were all flabbergasted that I could fold top pair top kicker. In the end, Drunky slowplayed pocket Aces, but Walken hit his set of deuces and even quaded up along the way.

I ended up with about 11 chips. Which was an estimate, because some how, all my chips got pushed into the middle and had to figure out what was mine. We estimated at 11 and I got that back. I managed to hold tight and get a lucky double up at some point. Made it heads up with Walken, got to even and he proposed a chop of the money. We weren't sure if 1/2 points were allowed so we decided to deal out a hand in order to figure out who got the extra point for 1st place. Walken got it and I took 2nd. I normally wouldn't have taken the deal, but with just a disparity in prize money between 1st and 2nd, I needed the split in order to fund a few more weeks of the league.

Week 5 went pretty well for me. I got some hands (something I haven't felt I've gotten much in the first few weeks or previous home games). I managed to go heads up against Tighty McTighty (we tied for 2nd place overall last time I played), but I had a HUGE chip lead. I just kept pushing until I won a hand.

So with the 5 weeks, I started off slow, but now I'm in 2nd and behind 1st place (Walken) by 3-4 points.

I'm still not feeling great about my game, but the last two weeks have boosted my confidence a little bit.

With that said, I did finished in 2nd and 1st in the two SnGs I just played. Maybe things are looking up.


-My name is Unimpressed, and I'm an donkaholic.

1 comments:

1Queens Up1 4/01/2009 11:09 PM

When in doubt, remember this axiom:

Sweep the leg!